The Prescription for Prevention: What you can do to prevent Rx misuse:
Store medicines safely and securely.
- Monitor quantities in each container.
- Control access to all medications including over-the-counter medicines.
- Apply this strategy to medications for adults and children in the home.
Model and teach medicine safety to your children.
- Don’t share prescriptions with others.
- Follow the doctor’s dosing instructions.
Ask friends and family to safeguard medications.
- Talk to friends and relatives, particularly grandparents.
- Encourage them to keep medicines secure and to monitor them.
- If you don’t know the parents of your child’s friends, get to know them and share your values and rules concerning drugs.
Dispose of expired, unwanted, or unused medications.
- Do NOT flush medications unless directions say otherwise.
- If you must throw them away in the garbage, mix them with an undesirable substance like coffee grounds or kitty litter to keep teens and others from taking them.
- The safest and most secure solution is to bring your expired and unwanted medications to your local Medicine Take-Back event. These events are held every Spring and Fall. Click the link below for more details.